Connect with us

Health & Lifestyle

Negative Effects Of Swallowing Chewing Gum



Negative Effects Of Swallowing Chewing Gum: You’ve probably heard many warnings about the dangers of swallowing chewing gum. From sticky intestines to death, the dangers of swallowing this crowd favorite have been widely circulated and believed to be true.

However, not everything you believe is true. According to medical and scientific explanations, swallowing gum is not dangerous. It’s just that the body takes a long time to digest it. For more details, check out the explanation below

What is the danger of swallowing chewing gum?

Eating gum certainly does not bring harm to the body if done wisely. However, it is different if the gum is accidentally swallowed.

Our bodies cannot digest chewing gum. However, just like various other foods that you consume, chewing gum will still be able to pass through the digestive tract, and will come out along with the feces.

Gum can be made from natural or synthetic materials. In addition to “rubber”, these candies contain preservatives, dyes, artificial sweeteners, and artificial flavors. Our bodies can digest all of these ingredients, except for the “rubber”.

When accidentally swallowed, there are additional calories that will accumulate in the body. Meanwhile, the indigestible ingredients of the gum will pass out of the body through the peristalsis (pushing motion) of the intestines.

How long does gum stay in the digestive tract?

There seems to be no end to the myths surrounding chewing gum. You may have also heard about gum that is said to stay in the digestive tract for years.

This is actually a myth. Almost everyone has accidentally swallowed gum years ago. But to date, no evidence has been found that leads to the accumulation of gum in the digestive tract.

Ingested gum will pass out of the digestive system in less than a week or in about 40 hours. It’s just that because the basic ingredients of this candy cannot be digested by the body, when it comes out, the form will remain the same as when it was swallowed.

If you accidentally swallow gum, immediately drink plenty of water. Drinking water can help make the throat more comfortable and prevent choking.

Dangers of swallowing gum if swallowed too often

Swallowing gum can be dangerous if it happens too often. In addition, the amount of gum swallowed is too much as well. the collection of candy can cause blockage of the digestive tract.

Blockages will generally occur when chewing gum is swallowed along with other objects that the body cannot digest, such as coins or sunflower seeds. When a blockage occurs, the doctor may recommend surgery to remove the accumulated gum from the intestine.

When a blockage occurs due to gum swallowing, symptoms include:

Pain in the abdominal area

Indigestion or constipation


Gum consumption should also be limited in children. This is because the various ingredients contained in chewing gum, such as artificial sweeteners and preservatives, are not healthy for the body. Children also sometimes do not understand that chewing gum is only for chewing and not swallowing.

If your child accidentally swallows gum, you don’t need to worry too much. Just like in adults, children’s bodies can expel the gum on their own, during bowel movements. Drink plenty of water immediately after accidentally swallowing gum.


Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


%d bloggers like this: